Why is Verona called the City of Love?
Verona derived its name as the city of love from the famous play Romeo and Juliet written by none other than Sir William Shakespeare. The Love story of Romeo and Juliet was an enduring tragic love story about two young lovers, who dared to unite despite their feuding parents opposition.
Apparently very few people know this Verona was indeed the city of love because the play Romeo and Juliet were based on actual characters from none other than the city of love itself.
The Love Story of Romeo and Juliet. Romeo and Juliet is an enduring tragic love story written by William Shakespeare about two young star-crossed lovers whose deaths ultimately unite their feuding families. Shakespeare borrowed his plot from an original Italian tale. It is believed Romeo and Juliette were based on actual characters from Verona.
February is the time when Love is in the air. That is precisely the best time to visit the amazing city of Verona. Verona is a city on the Adige River in Veneto, Italy. It is one of the seven provincial capitals of the region. It is the largest city municipality in the region and the second largest in northeast Italy. The metropolitan area of Verona covers an area of 1,426 km² and has a population of 714,310 inhabitants.
There is the amateur sports association GAAC 2007 VERONAMARATHON ASD behind the Verona Marathon, the Giulietta & Romeo Half Marathon, the Cangrande Half Marathon, the Last 10k and the Christmasrun in Verona.
It is still in use today and is internationally famous for the large-scale opera performances .
It is one of the best preserved ancient structures of its kind.
Seating Plan & Practical Advice at Arena di Verona The Verona Opera Festival is celebrates every summer from Mid-June until early September.
This is an open-air venue where the seating ranges from Platinum Stall seating (the best) right up to the Numbered Seats high on the stone steps.
Piazza delle Erbe literally means the market square in Verona, northern Italy.
Back in the days during Roman Empire the Piazza delle erbe used to be the town forum .
On the northern side of the ancient town hall is Torre Deo Lamberti the Casa dei Giudici or the Judges Hall and the freascoed Mazzanti Houses.
Torre Dei Lamberti
In May 1403 the top of the tower was struck by lightning. It took 16 years to restore this magnificent structure.
During the restoration the tower was enlarged and used marble unlike the red bricks. The large clock was added much later almost 300 years later 1779.
The tower has two bells: the Marangona signals fires, work times, and the hours of the day, while the largest, called Rengo, is used to call the population to arms or to invoke the city’s councils.
The northern side of the square is occupied by the ancient town hall, the Torre dei Lamberti, the Casa dei Giudici (“Judges’ Hall”) and the frescoed Mazzanti Houses.
The buildings were constructed in 1210, in wood, to house the local merchants association. In 1301 Alberto I della Scala, a few years before his death, had it remade in stone, especially intended as the wool trading center (the Scaliger were a family of merchants before reaching the rule of the city). The Domus’ podestà also acted as judge in the controversies and legal issues between the Veronese merchants and manufacturers.
During the century, the Domus underwent several restorations until, at the end of the 19th century, it was tentatively restored to the original medieval appearance. Today it has a portico supported by columns and pilasters, and a façade with mullioned windows and merlons.
The Scaliger Bridge or the Castel Vecchio Bridge is a fortified bridge in Verona, situated in northern Italy over river Adige.
The bridge is in red brick in the upper part, as are all landmarks in Verona from the Scaliger era, and in white marble in the lower one.
It includes three spans of decreasing length starting from pentagonal towers.
The largest span, measuring 48.70 m, meant that the bridge featured at the time of its construction the world’s largest bridge arch (the others measure 29.15 and 24.11 meters).